We gave Chef Jennifer M. Denlinger a.k.a. Florida Chef a bottle of our Discovery Series Rum No. 4 and she made a delicious Salted Rum Caramel Sauce. Any of our rums (including Pot Distilled) will work for this recipe. Here’s how to make it:
1 cup granulated sugar
¼ cup water
½ cup heavy cream
½ cup St. Augustine Distillery Rum No. 4
1 tbsp. unsalted butter
1 tsp. sea salt, or to taste
1. In a heavy-bottomed sauce pan, pour sugar without getting any granules on the side.
Carefully pour the water in. Place over medium heat.
2. Bring to a simmer. DO NOT STIR! Place a lid on the pan for 30 seconds. This is to
ensure there are no stray granules of sugar, and everything is melted evenly. Remove lid.
(If possible, using a clean pastry brush dipped in water, wash down the sides of the pan to
make sure no sugar is on the sides). Keeping pan on burner, swirl the pan until you reach
the color of light brown sugar.
(If the liquid clumps up, or looks cloudy after melting, your sugar has seized up.
This is caused from the sugar melting unevenly, or impurities in the pot. You can either
add a little more water, and put the lid on to steam it loose, or start over).
3. Remove pan from heat and carefully add the cream. It will steam violently. Swirl in the
4. Put back on low heat. Add the rum, butter, and sea salt.
5. Bring back to a simmer and cook over low heat until the desired consistency.
6. Serve warm, or refrigerate for up to 2 months.
Yields approximately 2 ¼ cups